Monday, February 9, 2009

Spinning....Spinning....Spinning

Whoa, what a day.

Got all of the creative and logistical types in the same room today to talk about this short film. I've got to say, that as each person walked through the door, my smile broadened. Everything is starting to come together. First AD, Producer, Production Manager, Designer, DOP, Mentor, the people coming through the door, the talent and experience involved, just blew me away. I got this warm and fuzzy feeling inside. I was speechless.

Until the DOP came in and told me that the room we chose as our Interrogation room was too small. No nice to meet you. No looking forward to this project. Just, this room is too small. I thought he was joking. But he was serious.

And it got me thinking. I thought it was perfect. I've been on crime dramas where the interrogation room was 2/3 the size of the one I chose. But here is an experienced DOP telling me that it's a nice sized room, but once you start packing equipment, dollies, cast and crew inside, the room will shrink immensely. And he is absolutely right. He's got the experience, he knows how much room the equipment will take over, I have to trust his judgment. So we look for another room inside of the stage. The thing that makes me feel bad is the construction guys just finished putting in a nice window between the two rooms to make it look more like I was hoping an interrogation room would look. Now What?

Flip the rooms. Use the adjoining room as the Interrogation room, and the room we were going to use as the interrogation room as our bedroom. Done! Everyone's happy and I think the extra space in the interrogation room will provide for a lot of nicer, more interesting shots. Thank you Mr. DOP.

Then came the phone call from my new Costume Designer. Had a great conversation with him, and he has some great ideas. Looks like he will be picking up right from where Maya left off. I am in good hands here.

Then off to the Police Museum to look at our laboratory. After a little discussion, we got everything sorted out without any major problems. Lots of great ideas for Mr. DOP and Mr. Designer, and I am confident that everyone is now on the same page.

Then the spinning began.

Data management. We have decided to go with the Red One Camera. People have been telling me different things about this camera. How it's the greatest thing to ever come about for independent filmmaking, to you should avoid this camera at all costs until workflow problems are worked out. Most of the negativity has come from post production houses, and I can only assume that would stem from not being able to handle the data from the camera. But that could be from people updating the firmware of the camera and then the post production guys have to re-build their workflows to handle the new software protocols. Vicious cycle.

Anywho, what everyone can agree on is that you should have someone on set with you whose job is strictly to handle the data and naming conventions from the camera through to the hard drive you are storing your footage on and to make a back-up of that hard drive. Ok. Makes sense to me. Found someone to do that. He charges $400 per day! yikes! but if that is going to save me a lot of problems in the future, then hire the professional and pay the bill. This could be money well spent.

Then, I am informed that I need to buy 2 hard drives, in a raid configuration, mirrored. Ok. Makes no sense to me. How much? About $1,500.00. Double Yikes! That savings I had from wardrobe and locations is fast being eaten up.

Then the kicker. The data management guy tells me that I should have an Digital HD Technician on set as well. Ok. Technician sounds expensive. How Much? Roughly $700.00 per day, if I let him be the DOP and Camera Operator so he can add to his demo reel. But I already have a DOP, who is my operator as well. So he'll be looking for something in the $1000.00 day range. What the @%#*!!!!!!! That's what I make in a week. That can't be right. Gotta look into that one.

That conversation ended at around 6:30, and my head has been spinning ever since. Time for a warm shower and bed. I'll talk to Alan and sort this out tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, Casting! Yay!

Hopefully there'll be no spinning at this point tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment