Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tour Day

It was Post Production Facility Tour Day today! Gathered up my editor Alan, my mentor Tom and joined the other teams to look at what the post production world had to offer.

Now for all my other shorts, my whole post production department consisted of me, myself and I, with the help of my wife and my producer. So while I know a little about editing the video, mixing the audio and correcting the colour, the people I met today are absolutely the best in their field.

The picture editing part of the tour was rather basic. Editing suites, formats and more frightening warnings about using the Red camera system. I'm surprised that so many of the other teams are still going to use the Red after the dire warnings. I guess they have a team from the top down that knows the camera and the workflows needed to successfully use the system. They also have some time to discuss things with the post production people before they go to camera.

Anywho, after the editing facility, it was off to 2 post production sound houses. Both were fascinating. Like I said before, a full post production sound package for $2,500.00! And you get the same treatment as a big budget Hollywood feature would get. The cool parts of the package are the sound design, the foley work, and being able to sit in on the mixing, watching your film come to life right before your eyes. I can't wait.

The only drawback is that I underestimated the amount of time needed by the audio post production team, so it looks like the release date now gets pushed a few weeks. Oh well.

So it looks like I'm going to make the date change official tomorrow. Lost one crew member, my Costume Designer. Hopefully I can find someone as good as her. She opened my eyes to some things I hadn't thought about, and the short will be better for having her along this far. Thanks Maya.

30 days until we go to camera. Need to get a cast, find a new costume designer, production manager, 1st AD and script supervisor. It seems I don't have as much time as I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment